STUDENT dscvr – DURKAN DESIGN COMPETITION
The Durkan dscvr design competition has been established to exhibit the talent of designers in the hospitality design field and contribute toward the education of future designers, in partnership with NEWH.
Students are encouraged to participate and be discovered! Durkan has partnered with NEWH to bring a unique member only opportunity. In lieu of entry fees, you simply must be a student member of NEWH.
Durkan is the leading US manufacturer of custom designed carpet to the hospitality industry. Specializing in durable Public Space, Corridor and guest room carpet, Durkan offers solutions to any custom design need. As design leaders, we offer the largest selection of archived patterns in the USA or we can make your custom design vision a reality.
NEWH, The Network of the Hospitality Industry, is the premier networking resource for the hospitality industry, providing scholarships, education, leadership development, recognition of excellence, and business development opportunities. Members of NEWH, Inc. are professionals actively engaged in development, management/ operations, architecture, communications, design, distribution, education, manufacturing, production, purchasing, and sales of the Hospitality, Foodservice, Senior Living and related industries. For more information go to www.newh.org.
- Entrants must be enrolled and active students in a college/university majoring in a commercial interiors discipline (i.e., interior design, textiles, architecture, etc.)
- College/university staff members, interior design professionals, or recent college/university graduates do not qualify to participate.
- Student membership in NEWH is required (membership fee is waived for students)
- BECOME A MEMBER NOW
The Challenge: Create fresh and innovative designs for a public space of a hotel with the provided floorplans and design restrictions below. Be creative, only the walls are your limits!
Using the CAD file (provided in PCX format) of a standard Ballroom & Pre-function, Create a design solution of your choice considering the following:
- Create a story/mood board based on a theme of your choice. Include a one paragraph write up about your story and why it inspired your designs.
- Select a color palette using a maximum of 12 colors that connects with your story board.
- Create a design package based on your story/mood board for the area listed below:
- Area: Public Space
Design a ballroom and a coordinating pre-function space
- Area: Public Space
Submissions should include the following:
- Story board on an 11x17 PDF.
- A one paragraph writeup on your design and why you decided on the story.
- Designs in the provided CAD space saved as a TIFF.
- Your design file(s) without the CAD/floorplan on top, saved as a PSD: entrynumber_design1.psd; entrynumber_design2.psd Please think of each area as your blank canvas, designs confined only by the walls, the most innovative approach would be to avoid using surface patterns with an obvious repeat, with the exception of textural elements used to add detail and layering. We'd like to see how the entire floor space could become one large design.
Submit final patterns with photos or visuals, concept boards, sketches, write up, or other inspiration for PDI (Precision Dye Injected) carpets. Completed package to be sent to Durkan for judging.
Grand Prize: $2,500
Second Place: $1,500
Third Place: $1,000
See "Contest Rules" for specifications and requirements of your design submittal.